Thursday, September 16, 2010

Waiting For Superman

As a Christian, I live in two cities - two kingdoms, if you will. I live in Portland, my home and wonderful city on earth; but I also live in the unseen peaceful city of God. St. Augustine's classic Christian text, The City of God, explains that Christian people belong to both cities. They belong to their society/physical city as well as the unseen peaceful city/kingdom of God.

The city of God is the spiritual place believers understand and know. Jesus told us that this kingdom would not be able to be seen, but that it is "in the midst" of us. It is the sphere in which God reigns and rules. My heart, some churches, families, and the whole collection of believers from China to Europe. This is the great city of God.

In The City of God, St. Augustine argues that Christians who belong firstly to the city of God should be the best citizens of their own physical city. Because I belong to the city of God, I should be the best citizen in the city of Portland.

To me, education is the silver bullet of modern society. I use the term broadly: schools, yes, but also better education in churches, hospitals, community centers and homeless shelters. Teaching the next generation the value of the mind and its relationship with the heart is essential. I've dedicated my life to it through Jesus. I believe so deeply in the power of good teachers, good administrators, and good schools.

Nonetheless, I know that better education is possible. I know that it is possible to provide many children all over the world with a better education than they are getting now.

Specifically, Portland has one of the trashiest public school systems in the nation. As a citizen of the city of God, it's important to me to see our kids in Portland succeed.

This film, Waiting For Superman, exposes some of the possibilities that are out there for our kids. I think it could be one of the more important films for the fall. Spread the word!

This next video was made by the producers/directors of the movie and it gives you a little run-down of our education situation here in America:

No comments: