Thursday, September 25, 2008

When Things Start

She just left and now I'm left with what's left.

School.

Everything's starting and I've got to get my rear in gear. I feel like the protagonist in O the Places You'll Go by the Seuss, sans acid trip. I'm pumped for being an English major again and excited for what God will do with the ministry and the church. I felt fall in the air today as Ali and I walked around downtown and it reminded of great aspects of the season.

I love it when the seasons change. I love this time of year and I adore April and May for the same reasons. But fall has a different tenor, it holds in it a reminder that everything, even the most beautiful, perishes in its unique luster.

For today, Frost can tell us what's to come in a couple of days (I just couldn't wait):
"October" by Robert Frost
O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away.
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if the were all,
Whose elaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost--
For the grapes' sake along the all.


No comments: