Friday, January 2, 2009

Top 10? How About A Lengthy Ramble!

I love music. But over the past year I've realized I'm a pretty sad music critic. I can get into so many different types of music it's hard for me to listen through an album and just tear it apart. I'm also bad at juggling, but that's a different topic.

I normally do this thing where I tell you my top 10 albums of the year and I post it on January 1. But this year, as I said, I sort of realized I was bad at this, and I was always scrambling over the holidays to listen through all the albums I haven't listened to. This was both exhausting and somewhat worthless, not to mention financially irresponsible.

So, then, here we are, and I'm feeling a little guilty because I still love music, but I can't keep up with 'cool' or even its siblings. I just wanted to mention some great listens I've had over this year without formulating a "Top 10" list.

I loved "Evil Urges," because My Morning Jacket has shown us what rock and roll is and how it progresses. The album is so diverse yet so concentrated. Speaking of this combination, I loved The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely." Great title, even better sound. I hope I can catch them live next time around.

Have you listened to Fleet Foxes? Please do.

I'd have to say though, in just looking through my itunes under "2008," I think my favorite contribution to this year's music scene was Vampire Weekend. That album just rocks through and through. I don't listen to the radio much, besides my morning dose of news, so I don't know what the "hit" is off of that album, but any song off of that album could run as a hit. I'm finding that a lot of people agree with me. This is an incredibly difficult place for any band to be in, and I'm only hoping that the sophomore effort from Vampire Weekend holds as much recognizable gusto.

I'm kinda sick of Coldplay.

No comments: