Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sustaining Grace

October/November of 2007 were very difficult times in my life. While suffering has not ceased in my life, the reality of the human condition certainly struck me during those two months. Before that time, God gave me this poem by John Piper called, "What is Sustaining Grace?" I quoted this in a sermon I gave during that time on the victory of God in midst of suffering. It not only helped my soul, but it intellectually provided me with the knowledge of how strong God's grace is over all time.

Recently, Justin Taylor quoted the poem; it has stayed in my mind for years.
"What is Sustaining Grace?" by John Piper

Not grace to bar what is not bliss,
Nor flight from all distress, but this:
The grace that orders our trouble and pain,
And then, in the darkness, is there to sustain.

No comments: