Sunday, November 19, 2006

Wii are the Champions


So if you thought I had enough with the play on words, you were wrong. I've decided that "Wii" is just a great word to say all the time.

College is all about finding free fun, and when your friends are die hard Nintendo fans and wish to camp outside of a Target to get the 16th and 17th systems...well, you really don't have to search very far.

After staying up the whole night listening to the young and old of the Target line talk about Nintendo and how much Play Station 3 sucks, I realize that I don't regret going along. Sean and Daniel proved to be the best partners to urban camp with, and I guess if I had to put the night into one word it would be intense.

After about four hours of sitting in the cold up against the white grate, I thought I should check out Target to see if I could spend my $30 gift card. Thank you Uncle Dave. Immediately upon walking in, my Target lighting allergies began acting up. I pressed on into the electronics section which was strangely in the front of the store. That's weird. Don't they usually put that in the back? Maybe in the corner. But not in the fr - Yes. Decemberists new disc. I had to snag it. Yes, it was ten dollars. So I slowly make my way over to the gaming section to get a preview as to what this whole Wii thing was about. This is because about two hours into our urban camping adventure I realized I had no idea what the Wii was all about.

I watched a woman on a flat screen tell me that the Wii was a "family opportunity" and got lost in her words. Before I knew it there was a voice behind me:

"No controllers yet huh?"
"What?"
"They don't have controllers released yet, do they?" said the voice.

I turned around to catch the glimpse of who I would be later introduced to as Jason. He had conglomerated light-blue dyed hair stuffed under a Batman eared beanie. He was smiling at me while he said this and I got a very clear look at the gaps in between his teeth and his stiff, fixated glasses.

"No," I said plainly. "I don't think they come out until tomorrow, you know, with the system."
"Oh, right, totally."
There was a small silence. Until he said:
"I think I'm going to check out around the ba - Oh. my."
He paused and sort of looked past me, behind my back. He was gazing in the distance as if hypnotized, completely still. I turned to see what he was entranced with. The Wii stood encased in a glass square, lit with a blue ember beneath it. The system looked god-like. It seemed to stand taller, mightier, and almost projected a sort of aura. Jason was pulled immediately to it, reaching his hands out towards the mighty Wii. Bat-ears J embraced it, breathing heavily as he rubbed the glass. I looked at my shoes.

"Oh wow. Oh. Wow." he breathed.

There was another silence as he paused, slowly looked toward me and whispered;

"You can...almost...taste it..."

My face changed instantly from discomfort to what I can only describe it as, "hella-scared." I can't remember if I responded or just left, but the next thing I remember I was outside of the target and breathing heavily.

No comments: