Monday, December 31, 2007

Top Ten Albums of 2007 (or my fiftieth post!)

Since I've done this list since '04, and published one last year, here we go.

Yes this is the only list you need to know about. Purchase everything on here. It truly was a great year and top ten is very difficult.

10) Once (Music from the Motion Picture) - Various Artists: I'm a fool for Irish folk, and this is some of the best. Glen Hansard's got passion. But how come these Irish songwriters are always writing about breaking up?

9) There Will Be Blood, Original Score - Johnny Greenwood: See the movie before you buy the album, but understand that both beg the questions to each creator: what else can he do? PTA can do everything that is film, Greenwood can constantly redefine what music means to us.

8) The Flying Club Cup - Beirut: I didn't think this guy was that great at first. My mistake this album grew on me more than anything this year.

7) Sky Blue Sky - Wilco: Tweedy grew mountains as a poet and composer, but who the frick mixed this album a monkey? P.S. Thanks for keeping that old sound while pushing into some uncharted waters.

6) The Shepherd's Dog - Iron & Wine: They've done the best job of moving from that lo-fi independent folk sound to a major release artist. Some beautiful composition as well. He's not just a singer-songwriter.

5) Cease to Begin - Band of Horses: The first track shows what kind of rock stars these boys really are. They are not afraid to let their music ride and rock.

4) Icky Thump - The White Stripes: CONQUEST. I liked this album a lot more than most people and jeeze I'm sorry. Jack White is the guitar hero right now.

3) Easy Tiger - Ryan Adams: I hated everything he put out since Gold in 2001, but I randomly picked this up and love everything on it. The writing is that good old stuff and whoever mixed this one should get in contact with Wilco. Aced. Not many people liked this as much as me, but dangit this is an album.

2) Neon Bible - The Arcade Fire: Holy crap thank you. Rock and Roll needs you Win Butler and so do I. This was in my car for almost two weeks just playing straight through. This is a musical accomplishment. I am very late on the Arcade Fire train, but I'll ride it.

1) In Rainbows - Radiohead. It's Radiohead. Any questions?


Honorable Mentions:
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Spoon: "The Underdog" is such a hit, I just couldn't get into the rest of the album like all the kids could. I know I know.

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys: Yes, I spelled it correctly. I need to find more time and money and just get into this band a lot more.

The Con - Tegan and Sara: Produced by Chris Walla. Job always well done.

The Remedy - David Crowder Band: I wish I had room. Really really good, just not great or as innovative as his last album.

The Disappointments:
Under the Blacklight - Rilo Kiley: Why do people like this album? This band is so good and I was really looking forward to this release until I began vomiting while I listened to it. Why Jenny? Why?

Join the Parade - Marc Cohn: The great American singer-songwriter tries to be a fusion of Tom Waits and a 20-year-old indie rocker. Barf city. It should have been great.

Cassadaga - Bright Eyes: Dude I love you Conor O, but whatever happened to your talent of matching poetry to melodies? It seems like everything on this album is fantastic independent of each other, but when put together sounds a little like poop being thrown at a car.

Well seriously, give it up for 2007. I never really pay attention to music until school starts, and this year I was a touch late. But in spending so much time in my car it was not difficult catching up. Start listening to what's up. I feel like we're taking a really good turn.

Rock and Roll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you need Spoon in your life