Monday, August 17, 2009

This One's For Free

If you know me at all, I often say that I don't know where I would be without C.S. Lewis. He, for some reason, can articulate the ways of God to me better than pretty much any body, and he points me to Christ constantly. I haven't read everything of his, but I plan on it. I was going through one of his works for a second look as I'm preparing a certain sermon, and came across this, which I believe is of prime importance.
"The problem of reconciling human suffering with the existence of a God who loves, is only insoluble so long as we attach a trivial meaning to the word, 'love,' and look on things as if man were the center of them. Man is not the center. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake. 'Thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.' We were made not primarily that we may love God (though we were made for that too) but that God may love us, that we may become objects in which the Divine love may rest well pleased."
-C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain, pp. 40-41.

This world was not made for you or me. Nor was is your life about fulfilling what you believe makes you happy. Google "Hubble Telescope" and you'll see what I mean.

No comments: