Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Just in the Nick of Swine

"Ok, break," my professor said. That was a long lecture and there's probably another hour or so. I need to find the cookies. There are cookies somewhere that I need for a boost.

The girl sitting in front of me turns around before I could even move my legs after my brain thought of cookies.

"Would you mind emailing me the homework she assigns at the end of class?" she said as she slid her email address over my desk. Before I could even wonder why she would leave she told me, "I'm not feeling that well..." she said this line with much more drama than her previous. I decided to replace my skepticism with a joke to relieve both of us.

"Ah, swine flue huh?" I said with a little smirk.

Her face turned white with worry that had a tone that seemed to say, "That is a total possibility." Instead she said:

"You think?"

There was a pause and then I made a little noise before letting out, "No, gosh, sorry, joke," which really wasn't a sentence but I think I got my point across.

She looked at her shoes for a while and squinted as if to think about her symptoms. Instead of waiting for her to ask another question I would stammer at, I just told her I would email her.

She turned from me and walked away. It was right then when I thought, that was the worst joke I could have made, it should have went like this.

"Would you mind emailing me the homework she assigns at the end of class? I'm not feeling well..."

"Totally, but just make sure you swine your name on the swine-up sheet before you leave."

Wink.