Friday, October 23, 2009

The Church of Atheism

I'm working on an article to submit to some papers on campus regarding some contradictions of New Atheism and just some interesting facets of their worldview. As you can see, I'm very early in the process and need to do some narrowing down. But c'mon, throw me a bone here.

I'm doing this because I've realized that over the past year I've been inadvertently researching the New Atheist movement and have a solid amount of sources to write a pretty informed article. But I didn't really get off my rear until I saw this New York Times blog entry, which set me over the edge. I now must write.

I know there's more of this going on in Europe, and I have seen things online, but the New York mass transit is brilliant.

The quote that threw me for a loop was this: "Jane Everhart, a spokeswoman for the New York City Atheists, said that campaign was highly successful and brought in many new members."

They're proselytizing.

Beyond this, in my speaking with Atheists and my involvement in the PSU atheist/agnostic group, I've found that they're not just proselytizing and creating fellowships - they're worshipping.

More to come.

No comments: