Thursday, October 15, 2009

News I Get To Break (I Think)


Last night I got to hear and meet Michael Chabon, who is one of America's greatest living writers. He read from his new book and first work of non-fiction, Manhood for Amateurs. I was all set to go it alone since I really have no friends who like to read as much as I do, but right when I was getting there, I saw an old professor of mine that I greatly admire. She was alone as well. It was great seeing her there because she actually did the footnotes for Chabon's celebrated book, The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and knows him personally from graduate school. This means that I got to sit front row in a PACKED and HOT Pearl Room at Powell's. But let me get to what I really wanted to talk about.

At the reading last night, Chabon announced that the Coen brothers are going to be making his book, The Yiddish Policemen's Union, into a movie.

(!!!)

He said it's in the very early stages, but it's the Coen bros and Michael Chabon. I can hardly contain myself. I envision this combination working out very well for all parties. The Coen brothers do really cool things, and they're some of the best when it comes to adaptations of books. Plus, Chabon's stories are close to flawless.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about and these names seem both meaningless and drab, please do yourself a favor and see a movie made by the Coen brothers and read a book by Michael Chabon.

Anyways, thought I should let you know that this project is really set up for total success. Keep your specs peeled.

No comments: