Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Words to Be Conquered

Ok, so enough of you have harassed me to put up my summer reading list that I'm just going to do this quickly to make you peasants happy.

Here's the deal, though, this list is not final. NOT FINAL. And while I would like to stick to this list, I cannot promise that it will contradict itself. Stay tuned for my "Conquered Words" series to see if I finished these books this summer and, if I did, if they were any good or not. This whole summer will be crazy, so we'll see what happens. HERE WE GOOOO.

They're in list form and have just brief comments about what they are and maybe why I want to read them or how I heard about them. If you want to know more about them, I suggest Amazon because I love Amazon. Or Powell's if you're in Portland.

1) Columbine by Dave Cullen. Chronicles the April 1999 shootings in Colorado. Cullen has spent 10 years researching and interviewing people in order to write this. It's also supposed to just be a great commentary on 21st century youth.

2) My Losing Season by Pat Conroy. Alex Ward gave me this book and read me the introduction on the porch of my apartment while it rained. I must read it now. All about 1960s basketball through Conroy's personal story of playing as a young scrappy point guard under the home of an abusive dad.

3) In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck. I read one Steinbeck every summer and I suppose this will be this year's.

4) Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. The famous story of an English teacher in Tehran who formed a secret society of Iranians who read Lolita together. Stories about youth in the middle east and how literature affected them.

5) Who's Your City by Richard Florida. Florida is probably today's leading voice in global urban studies. He says that despite globalization, where you live really matters, and he's supposed to have a good case.

6) How to Be Good by Nick Hornby. Some people really rag on Hornby, but I think the guy is phenomenal. He has this niche that not many people pick up on and I don't think I've ever heard someone talk about that "good love" as well as he talks about it. In an email correspondence I had with a Duke professor, he told me to read this particular Hornby piece.

7) Lewis' Space Trilogy. I just don't know if I'll get there this summer...

So...What are you reading? Let me guess, your iPhone.

5 comments:

Matthew C. said...

4) affected*

also, if you haven't read it already, definitely hit up Rushdie's "Haroun and the Sea of Stories".

Alexandra said...

Lewis's space trilogy is a must!

NickDavies said...

My list is only at 4 right now, but it'll grow:

"Leaders who Last" by Dave Kraft
"Pleasures of God" by John Piper
"Kane and Abel" by Jeffery Archer
"A Time to Kill" by John Grisham

Still trying to add to it though

Alex Kato said...

Space Trilogy was on last summer's reading list for me. You gotta move it up in the list man, no matter how boring the first 90% seems, you'll look back and think that the whole thing was amazing.

Anonymous said...

I read Lewis' Space Trilogy last year. You can fly through books 1 and 2 pretty easily, but book 3 is a bit difficult to wade through. Worth it in the end, but tough. Peace, Linda