Friday, September 24, 2010

Where Do Good Ideas Come From?

There are a lot of great books coming out this fall, but I think I'm most personally excited for Steven Johnson's Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation.

Here's the book trailer for it. I'm not sure which I like more, the concept of the book or the concept of the trailer. While we're at it, how rad are these book trailers that are coming out lately? Me likey this trend.

You'll have to watch it on YouTube because my blog template is being sups lame. But come back for my comments, you guys! C'mon!

Yeah. That's what's up. The more research we come to, it's becoming increasingly clear that success, innovation, and advancement rarely come in isolation, but rather in community over a decent period of time.

My two loves - education and ministry - certainly need this truth implemented. The "Senior Pastor" model is done, the dictating principal/superintendent must be dethroned. More so, what Johnson points out is that we need to give more room for creative spaces (or places where new pieces of new ideas can come from) so that these hunches and small ideas can form. Why do you think Google rocks so much face? Something like 20% of your time is just for inventing and putting others' ideas together with yours.

What if ministries gave more time to pastors to roam their cities, meet people, and pray. Then they could come together to let the ideas collide for how to better minister to and seek the peace of their said city? Or what if teacher inservice days were totally rethought?

I like the idea of the Internet becoming what the coffee house was in the 18th century. It's funny to go to a coffee shop now and see everyone quietly tapping their laptops; same space, different way to communicate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site wearemadeofsound.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Chris Nye said...

what links would you like...? I'm confused...