Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What A Conference Won't Teach You

I think there are a lot of great churches with a lot of awesome conferences that all communicate great and awesome things. In my short time as a pastor, I have looked at several churches who have "got it all together." They do community groups right, they have stellar preaching, they have great music, and they serve their community with consistency and eagerness. But I was challenged in a meeting the other day when one of our ministry partners complimented us on listening to the poor as a leadership strategy.

Recently, it's come to my attention that I can learn a ton at conferences and podcasts on church leadership and preaching. However, one thing I can't learn from these things is what I have learned from those who have way less than I do. When I listen to dudes at conferences I leave thinking, how can we beef up our strategies and systems as a church? My thought process is entirely centered on pulling us up as a church.

But when I leave a conversation with someone who has less than I do, who has an entirely different worldview than I do simply based on economic standing, I start thinking about how I can personally bring myself lower. I don't care about strategies and systems, I care about them. I start thinking about giving away more money and getting to know more people like that. It's a totally different thought process.

So instead of going to conferences twice a year, maybe we get to know the people in our community who have less than we do materially. Because I think we'll find out that some are rich in the things we lack.

1 comment:

Steve Catts said...

Good stuff Chris, I couldn't agree more.