Monday, February 7, 2011

Another Side of Detroit

Do not get me wrong, that Super Bowl advertisement Chrysler put together with Eminem was flat-out awesome. Smooth. Cool. No gimmicks. I loved the rhetorical aspects of it.

But let's remember that Detroit is not glamorous. The city, as you can see from this gallery, is literally (and I use that word carefully) in ruins and it desperately needs help. Perhaps Chrysler will be part of that, who knows?

I was visiting my dad in Michigan just a month ago and seeing some of the houses as we drove out of Detroit was like something out of McCarthy. My heart breaks for this city and I'm not sure why. I think it has one of the most interesting stories of any American metropolis and it's difficult for me to believe that this is the end. Let's hope not.

Make sure to see the other haunting pictures over at Retronaut.

No comments: