Thursday, February 10, 2011

Are You a Sinner? There's an app for that...

The Catholic Church has approved this iPhone app that lets you track your sins. Hm.

The Confession app is about $2 on iTunes and is described by the church as the "perfect aid." Was Jesus not enough? Is community not enough?

Look, I love my Catholic brothers; I'm convinced that had I not grown up around them I would not be as excited about my God as I am today. But, c'mon! An app that lets you track your sins? Sure, this might be convenient, but I'm not sure it's totally helpful at all. I guess it's perfect for the religious person, but I'm not really into that whole thing. I want to know my God, not just my sins I committed or didn't commit every week. What about you?

3 comments:

Scott Nye said...

Well, it's sort of perfect for a classic, traditional Catholic - it'll no doubt increase the guilt AND you can make sure you remember everything for confession.

In the time I've spent between the Catholic Church and the evangelical, the main difference I've seen (and I could be wrong here) is that the latter is more focused on having a strong relationship with God and Jesus, and through that relationship becoming a better, more Godly person. Catholicism is more focused on you squaring away with yourself, using God as a guide/source of comfort and Jesus as an example. It's much more introspective, and when lived correctly, asks for a constant examination of the soul.

One isn't any better than the other, but it is a different approach to faith, and the app, when used correctly, can be a tremendous aid. A good, quick look at it here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/lets-set-the-record-straight-about-the-catholic-confession-app-2011-2

Chris Nye said...

Very, very well put. And I think you're quite accurate in a main difference between the two faith traditions.

Thanks for the article.

I say good day, sir!

Jeff Patterson said...

I am ashamed.

My gut response: How could those Catholics think a Confession app is a good idea? It may be hip, but is it helpful?

In reality, there are three fingers pointing back at me. Consider how we Evangelicals think Confession is UNNECESSARY is more telling about us.

I might laugh at the $1.99 pricetag (isn't confession free?!) because I don't get the great cost of my sins, including those I neglect to continually confess.

Yep, ashamed. Not hip or helpful.