Monday, March 14, 2011

A Quick Word About Those Millionaires

So it seems as though everyone is linking to Fidelity's study of millionaires that concluded 42% of millionaires do not consider themselves wealthy. The survey questioned 1,000 millionaires. The number the millionaires felt would make them wealthy would be $7.5 million. Roughly. Not 7.4. Ok, never mind.

It seems to me as though we're missing an interpretation. Might I add to the noise?

The links and short articles pointing to the study basically cite the sources and statistics and say something like, "poor millionaires" or "somebody call the wambulence" or "maybe we should offer them a Bud Crieser."

But where does that interpretation come from? How free are you from the same desire those millionaires have?

You see, at the root of this survey is lust or greed: it is the desire for more, the just-the-next-thing-and-then-I'll-be-fine mentality. If we're honest with ourselves, are we not suffering from the same thing? I know I am. I am constantly finding my brain wonder from level to level. Once I finish school, once I get into grad-school, once I get noticed by someone, once I get enough money, etc, etc, etc...

This study should not be so shocking. Human nature is to desire more. Money complicates this desire and feeds it.

But Christianity has this great virtue called, "godly contentment." And of course the theologian Sheryl Crow sums it up the best: "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got." I'm not old by any sense, but I have learned that no matter where I get to, what level I rise to financially, I'll always want more and believe that in having more I'll be happier. But sometimes we need to listen to the wisdom of St. Biggie: "Mo' money, mo' problems."

Also, can we realize that 58% of the millionaires did consider themselves wealthy? Maybe Sheryl is one of them...

2 comments:

Scott Nye said...

I see where you're coming from, but it's one thing to want more and another to objectively realize what you have. A millionaire that doesn't consider himself wealthy is the same as the guy in the trailer park who keeps talking about how he's "livin' the dream!" Both cases are a little sad.

Chris Nye said...

well put. Either way, the millionaires are wrong. I just see a little of myself in their responses.