Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Summary of All Good and Evil

Perhaps the most famous line in Genesis is in chapter 50, verse 20 where Joseph says to his brothers: "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today."

Beautiful. What was meant for evil is actually being used for the best possible good of everyone. We tend to use that verse to make us feel better about crappy things that happen. Like earthquakes. But sometimes that verse isn't enough. You read words of survivors and then you read those and you think, Ugh, I don't know about that. Is it that simple? Ok, maybe you don't, but I certainly do.

But what if it was bigger than that? When I look at that verse, I see that Joseph said it. However, placing that sentence in the greater Biblical narrative, I see the Greater Joseph, Jesus Christ, saying that exact line at the conclusion of all things or....right now.

Place those same words on the lips of Christ: "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today."

Fits pretty well, huh? Evil was done to Jesus. Injustice was done to Jesus. Jesus lived and died surrounded by evil. And yet...He raises and it is very good news indeed. 

So many people ask, "Why did God let this world go to crap?" But what if it wasn't going to crap? What if our definitions of "alive" and "good" and "evil" are elementary and only half-correct? What if God is actually in control?

It doesn't seem like it. It really doesn't, does it? I cannot look at some pictures. My stomach hurts when I read some of the words of people suffering through the world. Evil is everywhere and I seem to have no one to blame but the One in "control." My instinct is that, when I review the history of the world, there is more punishment and crime than any world could handle. My instinct says that there is only evil.

But when we think we know that to be untrue. There is beauty and brokenness, righteousness and wickedness, good and evil. My idea is this: instead of using this verse to explain evil (something we love to try our hand at), could it be used in a greater way - to comfort us amidst evil?

Listen to His words, the Greater Joseph, once again and in context:
"Do not fear...you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones." Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them. 
Let your fear subside as you let Him comfort and speak kindly.

No comments: