Friday, March 11, 2011

I Actually Learned Something in California

This past week was spent in sunny, 70+ degree California for the Catalyst West Conference in Irvine. The conference was great, but the "extra-curricular activities" could have been what made it for me. I laughed really hard, I spoke deeply with friends about the things of God and His church, and I got to hear peoples' heart for the world.

I was also able to see my brother in his element, Hollywood. Please make sure you read his work around all the movies he sees. Being where he is, it's cool to see his work improve and get noticed more.

On Thursday, I was able to meet with the leadership of David C. Cook publishing and hear their vision for books and the future of making things public. They were gracious people and very affirming. I'm not sure where that relationship will go, but I benefited greatly from the hour and a half I spent with the Cook team.

But I must say, Joy Dombrow, who was with us on the trip, put it best in her summary of learnings which she showed us on the plane ride home from the conference:
"The path of faithfulness is preeminent, even if it leads to a life of perceived mediocrity instead of public prominence."
That is huge. And extremely well written. (By the way, if you want more gems like that, you should read Joy's blog).

I got tons and tons of great information and awesome inspirational talks through the conference, but the one word that was driven home to me was faithfulness. God does not call us to fame, but faithfulness. On the surface of this, we think it to be boring. But through the testimonies of a few men at the conference as well as some ministry experience under your belt, you tend to see it differently: being faithful is extremely difficult.

Because at the end of the day, I want a leg up, I want people to recognize me, and I want to be brought into some type of societal spotlight where people acknowledge me. And I in my weakness, I will do whatever it takes to get there: tell half-truths, not mention some things, speak more than listen, etc.

This past week I've been hit with the reality that Jesus, who had the deserved spotlight, gave that up and became a no-one, a man of sorrows, a carpenter's son from a small town in order that I might get the Best Light shining on me. Not the light from the world, but the Light of the World.

Because Jesus stepped away from the light into utter darkness, I am in the Light. And while I may go through my whole life without the limelight, I will not go another day without the True Light.

Being faithful to that reality and serving God through it is way more beneficial that letting the masses tell you who you are. No matter the cost.

Catalyst West 2011 from Willamette Christian Church on Vimeo.

No comments: