Monday, January 1, 2007

Top Ten Albums of 2006

1) Continuum – John Mayer: “I Don’t Trust Myself With Loving You” is a pop song that no one has heard anything like. The rest of the record dances from throwback masterpieces to fresh, all-star pop ballads. He’s on top of the world and he knows it. Can you say Madison Square Garden? Welcome to popular music history Mr. Mayer.

2) Return to Cookie Mountain – TV on the Radio: My friend Sean told me they were “the Radiohead of hip-hop” and I couldn’t agree more…this is just such a cutting edge record.

3) Putting the Days to Bed – The Long Winters: Pop/Rock heaven. John Roderick is the best simple songwriter out right now.

4) St. Elsewhere – Gnarls Barkley: Enough has been said about this record…I have nothing original.

5) The Crane Wife – The Decemberists: Root-Rock beauty. Is this really them? Because it’s miles better than their previous stuff.

6) Stadium Archadium – Red Hot Chili Peppers: Because these guys should never die. A double album!? I think the last time this was done (well) was Songs in the Key of Life in ’73. I will always love RHCP.

7) Black Holes and Revelations – Muse: It’s freaking Muse. They puke beautiful music.

8) Orphans – Tom Waits: How many tracks are on this album? It’s like 53 or something. Tom Waits is finally getting the popularity and respect he’s always deserved.

9) Oh! Gravity – Switchfoot: Maybe just for the album art…This could be another band that does very little wrong in my eyes. John Foreman is the next Bono.

10) Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not – Arctic Monkeys: I haven’t heard this album enough, and I’m sure if I heard it more, it would climb up this list. Fantastic band that’s about to conquer the world.

No comments: