Friday, November 6, 2009

Yes, It's My Birthday, but There are More Important Things

Like, you know, stuff.

Ever since last year when I began reading Nick Hornby's "What I've Been Reading" column from The Believer, I have wanted to keep track for myself. I think I've mentioned here and there what I've been reading on this blog, but I'd like to try it more formally.

So, it's been done, I've put a little reminder in my phone at the end of every month to post what I've been reading to the blog. It's sort of an accountability thing for me, to make sure I'm reading, but also to let you know of some stuff you should read.

I'll tell you quickly what I read in October, because I read some great stuff.

1) Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. Simply great. I'm not sure if I connected with solely because of my passion and connection to New Orleans, or just because of the studly journalism that went in to the last section of the book...I dunno. This is the true story of one man. Just a man. But his personal narrative, as told by Eggers, is worth reading if you're a human. If you don't know anything about the events that followed the Katrina disaster, it's best to either speak with residents of New Orleans who were there during the catastrophe, or to read an all-encompassing account of the Katrina events. This book, however, is yet another eye opening look at one of the greatest tragedies our nation has seen.

2) Forgotten God by Francis Chan. I read this in one night. Very easy to read, and very accessible to tons of types of people. It's a book about the Holy Spirit, and Chan brings some great things to the table. I'll say it: better than Crazy Love. Truth.

3) Overqualified by Joey Comeau. Just freaking funny. A small book of cover letters that Comeau actually sent to real job openings. He got tired of writing the same stuff, and decided to get creative. What comes out of it, is pure comic genius. Watch out for the Canadians, because I think they're beginning to take over.

4) The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer. This book is tiny. TINY. It took me two months to really read it. Tozer places every word right where it needs to go, and it takes a normal person a very long time to actually comprehend and take in. If you think you know God, or if you want to know God, or if you know nothing about God, read Tozer. He knows Him and he'll be able to articulate as much as he can. He admits he can't write about everything, but he comes pretty dang close I would say.

Other than that it was all stuff from school. (Curse you school for slowing me down!)

Hey! This will be fun! yay! Fun! Hurray!

3 comments:

Matthew C. said...

You make me want to read more. And write more. Sorry I missed you while you were here in Seattle -- I meant to catch up, but got distracted by stuff.

Chris Nye said...

dude it's all good McG! Miss you brother...glad I'm inspiring you to read, and not say, I dunno, beat up little kids. Hurray for good influences.

Kenneth Jaimes said...

wat i would give to be able to read half as much as you....