Thursday, December 30, 2010

Conquered Words: December

This is my monthly post where I tell you what I have read and (ever so briefly) what I thought about each work. If you haven't read these books, then read this blog and pretend that you did!
 
I read one book this month and I am very OK with that because I could write forever on it. Luckily, since I finished the book last night, I don't have all of my thoughts together so I'll be brief. That is the greatness of these posts, that you, my reader, tend to get my very immediate impressions on the words I read each month. Don't you love me right now?

The book was Robert Kennedy: His Life by Evan Thomas (Simon & Schuster New York, 401 pages), which I started in November that brought me to a close of 2010 and what a close it was. This man is entirely fascinating. He, like every idolized man, was so very complex and flawed yet still, in knowing as much of him as we can know, is a legend. RFK was a unique intellectual and brutish at times. He was a strange politician because he was almost too much himself. Jack was the politician of the family and Bobby was the moralist - however haunted and fatalistic he could be. The tragedy of his assassination lies in the foundation of the "what could have been," and yet without it, he and the entire Kennedy legacy would be different. I need more thinking on this book, but I already know it was well done because of Thomas's comprehensiveness and vigor. Even in showing RFK's awkward courage, brutish professionalism, strange, sometimes destructive habits, and tormented mind, he still comes out legendary, perhaps in the more appropriate way.

Look forward to my Best of 2010 CW coming very, very soon because I have already written it.

Keep reading, my friends.

No comments: